This Week In Aceh...

I am currently in Aceh, Indonesia, where I am working for the the International Rescue Committee's (IRC) Community Driven Regeneration (CDR) programme. This Blog is meant to keep family, friends, acquaintances and anyone else interested – particularly donors of Stichting Vluchteling, the Netherlands Refugee Foundation, whose support is making the CDR programme possible – informed about my work, my experiences and my thoughts during my six months stay in Aceh.

Friday, November 24, 2006

November 24th - Something different


Something different in this week’s weblog! While my own contribution to this post is limited to a series of Meulaboh sunset pictures and this short introduction, I have asked one of my colleagues to write the body. Rina Rozana, the CDR technical unit’s grant officer, has taken the time to share some of her background, views and experience with us. Rina is a strong woman with an amazing strength of character. She is a valued member of the CDR team and a great colleague. Here is her story.


Take care,
Alex


*************************************************************

My name is Rina Rozana and everyone usually calls me Rina. The Tsunami catastrophe on December 26, 2004 has changed my whole life since it took my parents and my only younger sister, my grandmother also and 20 other family members including my aunts and cousins. It has really changed my point of view to face this kind of life and the way I work.

I have been working for the IRC since October 10, 2005 under Livelihood Program Department. Before joining the IRC, I was working for International Consultant based in UK for almost 3 years (since October 2002 to August 2005) that worked for irrigation sector project in Aceh. Previously, I was working only for my own career and benefit. However, my orientation spontaneously changed when I started to join the humanitarian agency especially when I saw directly the people’s livelihood condition in post tsunami. Having much money does not mean anything if there are no places for buying and getting foods or other basic needs.

There is a big difference between working for economic profit companies and humanitarian organisations like the International Rescue Committee. Working for an NGO makes me feel like I really work for my own people or my own community, particularly where the Community Driven Regeneration (CDR) programme is concerned. I am sure that this programme can bring a great impact to the community since it encourages the improvement of community participation and capacity building in managing their own development program based on their priority needs.

The only problem I have on my side of the implementation of the CDR programme is communication and coordination among the CDR team members. It is impossible to have good results, particularly in getting feedback and reporting required from the community representatives through CDB, without good communication among the teams. To overcome this problem I usually communicate with the teams, especially to CDR managers through email, by phone (for clarification of information and data) or even in direct field visits for opening interactive discussion with the teams, particularly regarding financial and narrative monitoring reports and the simplest bookkeeping issues as well.

I personally hope that IRC can develop better coordination and communication systems for the implementation of the next CDR programme as a manifestation of sustainable development programme that can make the community survive when all NGOs have to leave Aceh sooner or later.


Regards,

Rina Rozana

Total dedication for better life


“Here is the only place I have with tears of sadness and happiness. I came alone to this world and no need to scare to be alone since I will also go alone to the last place I have to be...return to loneliness under the guidance of my Almighty God”


Always be grateful of what you have even though life is never fair….


*************************************************************

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home